" TEXT="blue" LINK="purple" VLINK="#404040">

Notes for Mary Antoinette Smith, 20 Apr 1815 - 6 Jul 1886

Web site states:

There is a memorial window in memory of Harry Sutton and his wife at Saint Peter's [Episcopal] Church [in Oxford, CT].

Notes for Harry Sutton, 27 Dec 1807 - 19 Aug 1875

Web site states:

Harry was engaged in business in Oxford as a carpenter, builder and contractor for many years. He was one of the substantial citizens of the place and took a prominent part in religious work as a member of Saint Peter's Episcopal Church, holding office in the church and Sunday-school (there is a memorial window in memory of Harry and his wife at Saint Peter's Church). Politically he affiliated with the Democratic Party, being a valued worker in the local organization.

Notes for William Pringle, ---- - ----

William Pringle (also spelled Prindle in his will), a native of Scotland, the emigrant ancestor and progenitor of the family in America, settled inNew Haven, Ct., where he took oath of fidelity to the New Haven Jurisdiction, Theophilus Eaton, Governor, on 4 Apr 1654.
...Scotchman which lives at Mr. Allerton's," who was one of the MayflowerPilgrims. Savage says that William Pringle "was a proprietor in 1685, and so was Joseph, who may have been a son."

...place of his burial is not now known, it is supposed to have been in theNew Haven Green. Mary joined with her son Eleazer, as late as 6 Apr 1697, in a deed, and probably died about 1700-01.

Notes for Theodore Dwight, 1796 - about 18 Oct 1866

Web site states:

Theodore Dwight, Jr. (1796-1866), born in Hartford, was an author and educator. He graduated from Yale College in 1814, and studied theology with his uncle, Yale President Timothy Dwight (1752-1817), but never became a minister. On his first trip to Italy in 1820, he established a lasting friendship with the revolutionary Giuseppe Garibaldi, whose autobiography he translated for publication in 1859. After marrying Ellen Boyd in 1827, he settled in Brooklyn, New York, where he worked for his father as an editorial assistant, and wrote many books and articles on education, travel, history, linguistics, and ethnography. He was involved in several scholarly and philanthropic societies, and was an active promoter of the settlement of Kansas as a Free State in the 1850s. (For a more detailed biography, see Box 4, Folder 85.)

Notes for Talcott Barlow, 3 May 1825 - 21 Oct 1898

Web site states:

From: The Commemorative Biographical Record of Fairfield County Connecticut, published in 1899

TALCOTT BARLOW (deceased), late of Bridgeport.

Few of the residents of that city have passed as many years in active business as did this deeply lamented gentleman, who, beginning his career as a bread-winner when eight years old, was still "in harness" till within a few years of his decease, which occurred October 21, 1898, when in his seventy-fourth year.

Mr. Barlow was a native of Connecticut, born May 03, 1825, in the town of Westport, Fairfield county, a son of Samuel and Eunice (Mills) Barlow, of Westport, the former of whom was a shoemaker in that town, well-known and much respected.

Our subject's youth was spent in Westport, and at the age of eight years he began working for farmers in that locality. At fifteen he was apprenticed to a carpenter, and after serving a term of five years he was employed by Peter Norman, a contractor, with whom he remained five years. Coming to Bridgeport when a young man he engaged in the carpentering and building business with the late
Wakeman W. Wells, who was county jailer for many years. This partnership was known as the firm of Wells and Barlow, but it did not continue for a very long time, and after its dissolution, Mr. Barlow carried on the business until a few years ago, when he retired.

In 1846 our subject married Miss Emeline Gray, of Danbury, Connecticut, who died in the year of 1893, leaving five children, all yet living: George F., who was in business with his father, and now succeeds him; Charles H., a plumber in Bridgeport; Albert T, a resident of Waterbury, Connecticut; and Amanda F. and Linnie, both at home.

Socially the family is held in high esteem. Mr. Barlow was a member of the Arcanum Lodge, I.O.O. F., at Bridgeport. While he was not ambitious for official honors, he always took keen interest in public questions, and throughout his life was an ardent supporter of the Democratic party.

Notes for Perley Keyes, 24 Feb 1774 - 13 May 1834

Web site, citing History of Acworth with the Proceedings of the Centennial Anniversary, Genealogical Records and Register of Farms by Rev. J. L. Merrill, Town of Acworth, 1869, page 233, Supplied by Sharon Franklin, states:

He wielded a strong political influence in Jefferson County, and when in the Legislature made his presence felt there. In a letter of Silas Wright, Jr., William L. Marcy, and others, to Martin Van Buren in 1830, recommending him for the office of Governor of the territory of Wisconsin, they speak of him as a "plain, unlearned man, with a sound, strong mind, and in the practical exercise of an unusual share of common sense." An apoplectic stroke prevented his applying for this office.

Notes for John Keyes, about 1742 - ----

Web site states:

Gave a part of the Common to the town [of Acworth, Sullivan Co., NH], but probably never lived there.

Notes for Caleb Gibbs Patchin, 24 May 1799 - 6 Dec 1877

Web site states the following was posted by James Cummings:

Schoharie Co. NY Wills Vol. 10 page 68
Caleb G. Patchin of Jefferson
probated 8 Feb 1878

In the name of God, Amen.

I, Caleb G. Patchin of the town of Jefferson in the County of Schoharie and State of New York, do make, publish and declare this my last will and testament as follows.

I direct that my just debts, funeral expenses and doctor's bills shall be paid and that a suitable Gravestone shall be set to my grave.

I give and bequeath to my beloved wife Amanda, the use of one third of all my real and personal estate during her life to be taken by her in lieu of dower, and that her doctor's bills and funeral expenses be paid out of my said Estate, and that a grave stone be set to her grave like the one set to my grave.

I give and bequeath to my daughter Nancy wife of George Rhodes the sum of Fifty (50) dollars.

I give and bequeath to my granddaughter Sarah Ferris one hundred and fifty (150) dollars.

I give and bequeath to my daughter Mira wife of Rufus Finch Three hundred and sixty five (365) dollars.

I give and bequeath to my daughter Rhoda wife of Thomas Adjutant the sum of one hundred (100) dollars.

I give and bequeath to my daughter Sarah wife of Wallace Crane one hundred (100) dollars.

I give and bequeath to my Grandson Albert Buckingham Two hundred (200) dollars.

I give and bequeath to my Granddaughter Statira Patchin ten (10) dollars to be paid when she arrives at the age of Eighteen years.

I give and bequeath to my Granddaughter Serena wife of Harvey Jobson one hundred (100) dollars.

I give and bequeath to my Grandson Charley Adjutant Twenty (20) dollars the same to be deposited in a Saving Bank until he arrives at the age of Eighteen years, the interest to be added to the principal each year.

I give and bequeath to my daughter Peggy Ann the sum of Three hundred and fifty (350) dollars which my Executor is directed to loan to some responsible person, the borrower to agree to pay to the said Peggy Ann the interest. And ten (10) dollars of the principal annually until the whole is paid; but in case of the said Peggy ann shall die before the above sum shall have been expended, the balance shall be paid to her three children Imogene, David, and Dickson Scrom to be for their sole use and benefit.

I give and bequeath to my son Caleb G. Patchin Jr. the use during his life, of the piece of land owned by me in the town of Harpersfield and known as "the Fallow" to work and manage the same as his own but at his death the said land shall be sold and the proceeds to be divided among my children now living.

I give and bequeath to the person who shall properly care for me during my last sickness and who shall sod over my grave well and carefully, the sum of one hundred (100) dollars to be due with the first legacies.

I also give and bequeath to my son Caleb all my farming utensils of all kinds.

The residue and remainder and proceeds of all my real and personal property after paying the debts and legacies above named and not otherwise disposed of and the portion which may remains after the death of my wife. I hereby give and bequeath to my daughters, Nancy Rhodes, Rhoda Adjutant, and Sarah Crane to be divided as follows: charging Nancy with Four hundred (400) dollars, Wrhoda with one hundred and fifty (150) dollars and Sarah with Two hundred and forty five (245) dollars as the sums which I have paid them, the division otherwise to be equal but Nancy shall take the lot of land which I now own in Binghamton, adjoining hers at three hundred dollars toward her portion.

No sums which I have heretofore given to my children shall be charged against them but any sums which I may hereafter pay either of them shal be charged against the legacies herein before mentioned.

I will and ordain that the Executor of this my last will and testament, for and towards, the performance of said testament, shall with all convenient speed after my decease, bargain, sell and alien in fee simple, all my lands not otherwise disposed of. And I do these presents give to my said Executor full power and authority to bargain, sell and convey all the said lands to any person or persons and their heirs in fee simple by all and every such lawful ways as my said Executor or his counsel learned in the law may see fit or necessary.

And lastly I do hereby nominate and appoint my friend Allen S. Gibbs the Executor of this my last will and testament hereby revoking all former wills by me made.

In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 5th day of August 1875.

Caleb G. Patchin, L.S.

Geo. W. Smith of Harpersfield, Del. Co. N. Y.
Elmer G. Dart of Harpersfield, Del. Co. N.Y.
Minerva Dart of Harpersfield, Del. Co. N.Y.

Posted by SAMPUBCO for James Cummings

Notes for Julia Mariette Dickinson, 21 Jun 1875 - 23 Sep 1965

Web site states:

Florence Carlton Cemetery, in Missoula County, Montana, lies barely over the Ravalli County border, although it serves the community of Florence. Originally, another town by the name of Carlton existed in the area, but it is now gone.

Notes for George E. Stoddard, 15 Jul 1921 - 14 Feb 1991

Utah Cemetery Inventory states the following about the Logan City Cemetery:

Name: Logan City Cemetery
Address: 1200 East 1000 North, Logan, UT 84321
County: Cache
Owner: City of Logan
Address Owner: 255 North Main Street, Logan, UT 84321
County Owner: Cache
Phone: (801)750-9817
Sexton: Seth Sparks
Records Person: Data Processing/Sexton
Size (Acres):
# Burial Spaces: 42786
Occupied: 14553
Active: 1
Established: Not Provided
Records: Y

Notes for Eliza Platt Stoddard, 21 Jul 1869 - 19 May 1886

Website, quoting History Morris County New Jersey, Volume II, Lewis Publishing Co., 1914, Transcribed by John Cresseveur, states:

Eliza Platt Stoddard, born July 21, 1869, died May 19, 1886, was a member of the household at the Succasunna parsonage for eight years, a bright, intellectual and beautiful Christian character. The Memorial Chapel, standing near the Presbyterian church, erected by Mrs. Stoddard [her mother] in 1887, is her most fitting monument. So long as this chapel can do service in the worship of God, it will emphasize her words, "You need Christ and Christ needs you to work for Him." "I want to do real work for Christ."

Notes for Charles R. Chapman, ---- - ----

Web site states:

"Mr. Chapman is a lawyer of Hartford, Hartford Co., CT, and has been several years Mayor of that city, and also postmaster of the city for a number of years."

Notes for Franklin Leavenworth, about 1809 - Oct 1850

Web site states:

He was engaged as a merchant in Philadelphia, and as a manufacturer inWaterbury. He went to California in 1850, where he died by the hand of an assassin, at Angel's Camp, on Carson Creek, in October, 1850, leaving no children. She resides in New Haven.

Notes for David Jennings, 25 Nov 1860 - 18 Sep 1931

According to web site:

David Jennings emigrated to Oswego, KS as a young man, 1875-1880 with his father to indian territory where he married Flora Etta. He worked as county treasurer. Lost the election in 1904.Democrat. Worked for Condon Bank in Oswego Condon, now American State. Member of AOUW Lodge. After Flora Etta died he moved to Moprenci, AZ. and worked as a bookkeeper for a mining co.. He was living in Morenci in 1906. He married Bertha Morse whom he met on a train. and had a very unstable marriage, He lived in Texarkana TX on farm and in city. Was an accountant in Morenci from 1915 to 1930. He would just go home on visits.

Notes for Kermit Roosevelt, 16 Feb 1916 - 8 Jun 2000

Obituary from web site of the Washington Post newspaper:

Kermit Roosevelt, CIA Mideast Agent, Dies
President's Grandson Guided Overthrow of Iranian Prime Minister in 1953

By Bart Barnes
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, June 10, 2000; Page B06

Kermit Roosevelt, 84, the CIA operative who in 1953 engineered the coup that toppled Iranian prime minister Mohammed Mossadegh and restored the Shah to Iran's Peacock Throne, died June 8 at the Broadmead retirement community in Cockeysville, Md., of complications after a stroke.

Mr. Roosevelt, a grandson of President Theodore Roosevelt and a distant cousin of President Franklin D. Roosevelt, was a specialist in Middle Eastern affairs for most of his professional life. He left the CIA in 1958, served six years as director of government affairs for Gulf Oil, then organized and directed a consulting and lobbying operation that specialized in assisting U.S. firms with business interests in the Middle East and with foreign governments.

He began his government career during World War II when he joined the Office of Strategic Services, a predecessor of the CIA, upon its formation in 1947. He served with the OSS in Egypt; later he would write a history of the OSS.

He also wrote an account of his role in the 1953 coup in Iran, "Countercoup: The Struggle for the Control of Iran," which was published in 1979 but then recalled for revision after the British Petroleum Co. protested that statements asserting its predecessor firm helped organize the coup were libelous.

In November 1952, Mr. Roosevelt said, he was approached by the British Foreign Office about organizing the overthrow of Mossadegh, who had presided over the nationalization of British-owned oil operations in Iran. In February 1953, British representatives met in Washington with CIA chief Allen Dulles and his brother, Secretary of State John Foster Dulles, to recommend Mr. Roosevelt as "field commander" of the operation.

The plot received final approval on June 25, and shortly thereafter, Mr. Roosevelt flew to Beirut, then drove into Iran, via Baghdad, arriving on July 19. There he met with two Iranian operatives, nicknamed "Laughing Boy" and "the Mad Musician," and arranged for Army officers and street demonstrators to support the coup. He had a clandestine rendezvous with the Shah to assure him that he acted with the full authority of President Dwight D. Eisenhower and British Prime Minister Winston Churchill. As proof he offered specific phrases that the leaders would use in a public statement within the next 24 hours, which they did.

All major players in the operation had CIA-given nicknames, Mr. Roosevelt wrote. The Shah was known as "Boy Scout." Mossadegh was "the Old Bugger."

As the operation was about to begin, Mr. Roosevelt wrote, "It seemed to me appropriate that I should deliver [to the Shah] a parting message from President Eisenhower. Since he had neglected to send one, I put into words what he must surely be feeling.

" 'I wish Your Imperial Majesty Godspeed. If the Pahlavis and the Roosevelts working together cannot solve this little problem, then there is no hope anywhere. I have complete faith that you will get this done.' " As he waited for events of the coup to unfold, Mr. Roosevelt said, he relaxed with a drink and "played the record of 'Luck Be a Lady Tonight' from 'Guys and Dolls,' which became our theme song for the occasion."

At one point there was a snag, and Mr. Roosevelt drove to the apartment where Fazlollah Zahedi, who was designated by the Shah as Mossadegh's replacement as prime minister, was staying. He took the prime minister-designate, hiding under a blanket in the back seat of his car, to the residence of another CIA operative, where he would be safe from Mossadegh's agents.

When it appeared certain that the coup had been successful, Mr. Roosevelt cabled his superiors in Washington that the Shah "will be returning to Tehran in triumph shortly. Love and kisses from all the team."

For the next 25 years, the Shah would rule in Iran as a staunch ally of the United States and other Western powers. Mr. Roosevelt was secretly decorated at the White House for his role in the operation.

Kermit Roosevelt, known as "Kim" to his friends, was born in Buenos Aires, where his father was working as an engineer. He grew up in New York, graduated from Harvard University in 1938, then taught history there and at the California Institute of Technology before joining the Central Intelligence Agency.

He was based in Washington for his entire CIA career, but during his early years with the agency he had roving assignments in the Middle East. At one point, wrote former CIA officer Miles Copeland in "The Game of Nations," Mr. Roosevelt "allegedly gave [Egyptian President Gamal Abdel] Nasser's confidant Hassan Al Tohami a suitcase stacked with small bills amounting to one million U.S. dollars reportedly to be 'used for purchasing presidential security accouterments.' " Nasser was said to have used the money to build the 614-foot-tall Cairo Tower, which also was known in Egypt's official circles as "Roosevelt's Foundation." Mr. Roosevelt's son, Kermit Roosevelt, said the story was "totally untrue."

As a private businessman, consultant and lobbyist, Mr. Roosevelt had access to top officials at the State and Defense departments as well as Middle Eastern leaders, including the Shah of Iran and King Faisal of Saudi Arabia. He was able to help obtain a major role in building a national communications system in Iran for Page Communications Engineers of Washington, a subsidiary of Northrop Corp.

Over the years, according to Northrup officials, he helped Northrup obtain more than $1 billion in Middle East business. According to business sources, he also represented Raytheon Corp. in Saudi Arabia and Lebanon, and he was a Washington lobbyist for several foreign governments, including the Shah's. He retired in the late 1970s.

Mr. Roosevelt's writing also included "A Sentimental Safari," which was an account of a safari he took with his two eldest sons retracing the steps of the 1908 African safari his grandfather Theodore Roosevelt had taken with his son, who was Mr. Roosevelt's father.

Survivors include his wife, Mary "Polly" Roosevelt of the Broadmead in Cockeysville; four children, Kermit, of Washington, Jonathan, of Sudbury, Mass., Anne Mason of Chevy Chase and Mark, of Brookline, Mass.; a brother, Joseph Willard Roosevelt of Orient, N.Y.; and seven grandchildren.

Notes for Archibald Bulloch Roosevelt, 18 Feb 1918 - 31 May 1990

From the Congressional Record:

THE PASSING OF ARCHIBALD ROOSEVELT, JR. -- (BY J.Y. SMITH) (Extension of Remarks - June 07, 1990)
[Page: E1827]

HON. MARY ROSE OAKAR in the House of Representatives WEDNESDAY, JUNE 6, 1990

Ms. OAKAR: Mr. Speaker, I was saddened by the recent passing of Archibald Roosevelt, Jr. Mr. Roosevelt lived a full life and spent 27 years as a public servant to our country. I include in the Record his obituary, which recently appeared in the Washington Post.

The article follows:

Archibald B. Roosevelt Jr., 72 a retired intelligence officer who served as chief of the Central Intellgence Agency's stations in Istanbul, Madrid and London, died yesterday at this home in Washington. He had congestive heart failure.

A grandson of President Theodore Roosevelt and a soldier, scholar, linguist and authority on the Middle East, Mr. Roosevelt viewed his calling--and its faceless, anonymous half-world of nuance and seemingly random fact--with a hard-headed realism leavened by a kind of romanticism that that has echoes of an earlier time.

After retiring from the CIA in 1974, he became a vice president of Chase Manhattan Bank and director of international relations in its Washington office. Well known in Washington social circles in his own right, he was particularly active on the diplomatic circuit during the Reagan administration, when his wife, Selwa Showker `Lucky' Roosevelt, was chief of protocol at the State Department.

In 1988, he published a memoir called `For Lust of Knowing: Memoirs of an Intelligence Officer,' in which he adhered so strictly to this oath to keep the CIA's secrets that he did not even identify the countries where he had served. And although he was happy to tell interviewers that they could figure it out from his entry in `Who's Who in America,' he also was quick to explain that some Americans have forgotton what an oath is and that he would not break his even if the government told him to.

Instead, he gave his views on such questions as the nature of the CIA and why it attracted him, and on what intelligence officers should be and how they should see themselves in relation to their own country and the rest of the world.

`We in the CIA were always conscious of having a special mission, of being the reconaissance patrols of our government,' he wrote. Despite such vicissitudes as the Bay of Pigs disaster in Cuba in 1961, he said, the agency kept its esprit de corps even though with the passage of time it `was no longer a band of pioneers, but an organization.'

As for intelligence officers, Mr. Roosevelt said he thought of them in `the old-fashioned sense, perhaps best exemplifed in fiction by Kipling's British political officers in India.'

His notion embodied a high ideal, indeed, for the intelligence officer `must be able to empathize with true believers of every stripe in order to understand and analyze them. * * *. He must, like Chairman Mao's guerrillas, be able to swim in foreign seas. But then he must be able to pull himself to shore, and look back calmly, objectively, on the waters that immersed him.'

Most important, he said, the intelligence officer `must not only know whose side he is on, but have a deep conviction that he is on the right side. He should not imitate the cynical protagonists of John Le Carre's novels, essentially craftsmen who find their side no less by his own account, the product of a `conventional, Waspish, preppy world' and was destined for a conventional career on Wall Street. He managed to escape this fate, he said, because he `lived in another world of my imagination.'

Archibald Bulloch Roosevelt Jr. was born in Boston on Feb. 18, 1918. He graduated from Groton School and then went to Harvard, where he graduated in the class of 1940. While an undergraduate, he was chosen as a Rhodes Scholar, but was not able to accept because of the outbreak of World War II in Europe. His first job was working for a newspaper in Seattle.

During the war, he became an Army intelligence officer. He accompanied U.S. troops in their landing in North Africa in 1942 and soon began to form views on the French colonial administration and the beginnings of Arab nationalism. Later in the war he was a military attache in Iraq and Iran.

In 1947, he joined the Central Intelligence Group, the immediate forerunner of the CIA. From 1947 to 1949, he served in Beirut. On that and on all of his subsequent assignments abroad, he was listed in official registers as a State Department official.

From 1949 to 1951, he was in New York as head of the Near East section of the Voice of America. From 1951 to 1953, he was station chief in Istanbul. From 1953 to 1958, he had several jobs at CIA headquarters in Washington. In 1958, he was made CIA station chief in Spain. From 1962 to 1966 he held the same job in London. He finished his career in Washington.

Through it all he pursued an interest in languages. A Latin and Greek scholar when he was a boy, he had a speaking or reading knowledge of perhaps 20 languages, including French, Spanish, German, Russian, Arabic, Hebrew, Swahili and Uzbek.

Mr. Roosevelt's marriage to the former Katherine W. Tweed ended in divorce.

In addition to Selwa Roosevelt, to whom he was married for 40 years, survivors include a son by his first marriage, Tweed Roosevelt of Boston, and two grandchildren.

Notes for Francis Keyes Scott, 18 Jul 1859 - 19 May 1952

Web site states:

Birth date copied from Scott family Bible last in possession of George Rufus Scott.
Death Certificate 156-52-310221 filed 21 May 1952.
Retired Store Keeper and Internal Revenue Department
Living at 491 East 4th St, resided in NYC 65 years, never in US Armed Forces.
Died at Methodist Hospital Brooklyn, and buried by Walter B. Cooke Inc of 20 Snyder Ave at Brookside Cemetery.
Found in the 1860, 1900, and 1920 Census

Notes for Frank Edward Scott, 26 Nov 1888 - 3 Sep 1906

Web site states:

Died in a swimming accident in Sheepshead Bay, New York. Have a letter from him to his mother when he was 17 or so and away from home working.
Death Certificate 17669. Lived at 631 20th St, Brooklyn, NY
Birth listed as Frank Edward Scott born 26 Nov 1888, death 3 Sep 1906 in Scott family Bible last in possession of George Scott

Watertown newspaper clipping states "Word has been received that Frank C. Scott, aged 17 years, and son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank K. Scott, formerly of this city, was drowned while swimming in Sheepheads Bay near Brooklyn yesterday. Advices from the boy's father received this morning are to the effect that the body has not yet been recovered, but that as soon as it is found it will be brought to Watertown for interment in Brookside Cemetery. The young man's parents are both well known in Watertown. Mr. Scott, the boy's father, was formerly a printer here, employed by the old Watertown Post. Afterwards he became connected with the Sun Fire Insurance Company and about 20 years ago went to Brooklyn, where he has lived since. Since that time he has gone back into the printing business. Shortly after his departure from Watertown he married Alice L. Ferrin, daughter of H.F. Ferrin, at one time a prominent marble dealer and monument maker in this city. Mr. and Mrs. Scott made frequent visits to Watertown, coming here last about two years ago.


Notes for Walter Scott, 27 Aug 1893 - 1 Sep 1893

Web site states:

Only reference to him is in the Scott family Bible last in possession of George Scott. 27 Aug 1893-1 Sep 1893.

Notes for Gladys Scott, 27 Oct 1904 - ----

Web site states:

Birth date from Scott family Bible last in possession of George Scott.

HTML created by GED2HTML v3.5e-WIN95
Additional programming by Shel Michaels